Its that time of year again, when Christmas is just around the corner. And i have to say that i am more excited about it now than i have been for years.
Maybe its because i now have a house to decorate and create traditions in. Or maybe i have gotten used to the 45 C heat and the summer at Christmas time.
What ever it is, makes me feel like I'm 7 years old and expecting a magical time of snow, candles and good food. I know the snow is not going to happen here but there is a lot i can do to get the feeling of snow.
I bought a good looking plastic Christmas tree weekend before last and its been standing un-decorated in the middle of the living area to see if Elsa will try to climb it or not. So far she has not. I like how this particular tree has the light green ends on the branches. It makes it look more real for some reason.
So this past weekend we went and bought some lights to put in the tree. I spent the afternoon installing them and i really think it looks quite good. If anything it was a quite relaxing and therapeutic experience trying to untangle the cable from itself.
I know i am a bit strange for saying that those kinds of things are relaxing, but some prefer catch-and-release fishing, or golf or some other preferred sport involving a ball or hoop, or helmet... You get the idea. I just happen to have "untangling things" as my preferred non-useful time wasting thing that relaxes me. I am aware that this section might have stepped on some toes but to get my point across i guess it needed to be taken in to context. I mean, golf has never directly contributed to harvesting greens to put on the table unless you golfed in a vegetable patch.
I actually had a day off from work on the Friday, and its been nice to get some things done.I have also been to Ikea recently to pick up some other little bits for Christmas. I picked out a nice table cloth in white and gold, some advent candles, and a couple of plates to stand them on. I also went a bit crazy picking out gingerbread cookie , and other Christmas scented candles. Its about what you can make with what you have and i feel strongly that the scents are a huge part of Christmas. I have even bought a candy cane smelling candle as well as a pine tree smelling candle to get the Christmas smells going in the house because our tree is made of plastic and will never smell like pine naturally on its own.
On a side note, i also managed to buy some Aladdin chocolates and some real gingerbread cookies in a metal tin. Those ones i am saving for later. The Christmas count down has officially started.
As far as the house goes, we have started the garden on the Friday that i had my holiday day from work. and we went and got some washing line that we are going to hang up once we have found a pole to attach the line to the wall with.
Mike also organized for us to have air con installed a while back now. And i really like it, it makes a big difference on the hot days we have had recently with close to 38 degrees some days.
I can also say that i have bought a new car, a Prius hybrid, and so far its absolutely awesome. Not only do i feel safe while driving around, I'm not stressing about if or when the car is going to break down, if the air con is going to work or even the economy of filling it up. It has so far cut my spending on fuel to at least half of what it used to be. Possibly more than half since i do not have to fuel up every 7 days anymore. Below is a picture of it, and don't worry, it does have number plates, i have just edited them out.
As i am writing this its being very stormy outside. I have unplugged the laptop from the wall so i don't have to worry about it getting zapped if there is a flash nearby. So far so good.
This weekend i am hoping i will be able to go and get some decorations for the tree, i somehow feel its important that we pick out the first decoration together. Since it is our first Christmas completely on our own in our own house in all the time since we got married. It is both awesome and at the same time it feels a bit strange knowing its only going to be us and Elsa.
I am sure i will get used to it eventually.
This weekend is also going to be THE weekend to send out all my Christmas cards and overseas gifts so they will be delivered on time before Christmas.
As for my studying, i am now on to the last two weeks before the final test for this semester. I have a lot of studying to do which stresses me out a bit, but i try to get it all done before the weekend comes so i can relax and do what i need to do on the weekends.
Today's song:
Ed Sheeran - Thinking out loud
Maybe its because i now have a house to decorate and create traditions in. Or maybe i have gotten used to the 45 C heat and the summer at Christmas time.
What ever it is, makes me feel like I'm 7 years old and expecting a magical time of snow, candles and good food. I know the snow is not going to happen here but there is a lot i can do to get the feeling of snow.
I bought a good looking plastic Christmas tree weekend before last and its been standing un-decorated in the middle of the living area to see if Elsa will try to climb it or not. So far she has not. I like how this particular tree has the light green ends on the branches. It makes it look more real for some reason.
So this past weekend we went and bought some lights to put in the tree. I spent the afternoon installing them and i really think it looks quite good. If anything it was a quite relaxing and therapeutic experience trying to untangle the cable from itself.
I know i am a bit strange for saying that those kinds of things are relaxing, but some prefer catch-and-release fishing, or golf or some other preferred sport involving a ball or hoop, or helmet... You get the idea. I just happen to have "untangling things" as my preferred non-useful time wasting thing that relaxes me. I am aware that this section might have stepped on some toes but to get my point across i guess it needed to be taken in to context. I mean, golf has never directly contributed to harvesting greens to put on the table unless you golfed in a vegetable patch.
I actually had a day off from work on the Friday, and its been nice to get some things done.I have also been to Ikea recently to pick up some other little bits for Christmas. I picked out a nice table cloth in white and gold, some advent candles, and a couple of plates to stand them on. I also went a bit crazy picking out gingerbread cookie , and other Christmas scented candles. Its about what you can make with what you have and i feel strongly that the scents are a huge part of Christmas. I have even bought a candy cane smelling candle as well as a pine tree smelling candle to get the Christmas smells going in the house because our tree is made of plastic and will never smell like pine naturally on its own.
Everything is ready for this upcoming weekend when the candles will be lit for the first time.
There is noting like pine tree smell mixing with the smell of fresh gingerbread.On a side note, i also managed to buy some Aladdin chocolates and some real gingerbread cookies in a metal tin. Those ones i am saving for later. The Christmas count down has officially started.
As far as the house goes, we have started the garden on the Friday that i had my holiday day from work. and we went and got some washing line that we are going to hang up once we have found a pole to attach the line to the wall with.
Mike also organized for us to have air con installed a while back now. And i really like it, it makes a big difference on the hot days we have had recently with close to 38 degrees some days.
I can also say that i have bought a new car, a Prius hybrid, and so far its absolutely awesome. Not only do i feel safe while driving around, I'm not stressing about if or when the car is going to break down, if the air con is going to work or even the economy of filling it up. It has so far cut my spending on fuel to at least half of what it used to be. Possibly more than half since i do not have to fuel up every 7 days anymore. Below is a picture of it, and don't worry, it does have number plates, i have just edited them out.
I also think you could excuse the driveway being a mess. We had to dig a trench because we are building a retaining wall that i don't even think is tall enough to be called a wall, but that's a good name for it at the moment. The "wall" will be another photo, or series of photos, once it looks a bit more interesting.
As i am writing this its being very stormy outside. I have unplugged the laptop from the wall so i don't have to worry about it getting zapped if there is a flash nearby. So far so good.
This weekend i am hoping i will be able to go and get some decorations for the tree, i somehow feel its important that we pick out the first decoration together. Since it is our first Christmas completely on our own in our own house in all the time since we got married. It is both awesome and at the same time it feels a bit strange knowing its only going to be us and Elsa.
I am sure i will get used to it eventually.
This weekend is also going to be THE weekend to send out all my Christmas cards and overseas gifts so they will be delivered on time before Christmas.
As for my studying, i am now on to the last two weeks before the final test for this semester. I have a lot of studying to do which stresses me out a bit, but i try to get it all done before the weekend comes so i can relax and do what i need to do on the weekends.
Today's song:
Ed Sheeran - Thinking out loud

No comments:
Post a Comment